Fungal infections are a common problem that may occur among people of any age group. It can affect any part of your body certain fungi are always present on the body and are harmless. Only when they start multiplying abnormally, they become a cause of worry. Fungus generally grows in moist and warm conditions. Fungal infections are more evident on the scalp and under the fingernails. This type of infection can be managed by using nail cream fungal infection.
Let us first understand the main reasons behind a nail fungal infection.
- As stated above, the fungus needs a moist and warm environment to thrive and multiply. The area under the fingernails and toenails provides the ideal conditions for the fungi to grow.
- Fungal infections are contagious. It may be caused if you have come in contact with a person having any such infection or touched the infected area accidentally.
- These infections also spread in saloons if they are not careful about sanitizing their pieces of equipment after every use. So, before you get that manicure or pedicure done, insist on sanitizing the tools.
- Recurrence of fungal infections is very common unless treated completely, once and for all.
How do you know you have a nail fungal infection?
Fungal infections may affect a single nail, a small part of a nail or all of them. Any visible change in your nails should be immediately looked into. Some of the signs to look for are:
- A foul smell coming from your nails.
- Your nails become brittle and chip easily.
- Occurrence of a distorted nail.
- Yellow spots or discolouration of nails.
- Abnormal thickening of nails.
What should you do if you are suffering from a nail fungal infection?
- The simplest way to deal with a nail fungal infection is to keep your nails trimmed and filed. This prevents the growth of fungus.
- Special nail lacquer is applied to the affected nails which provide an environment that is not conducive for the fungus, thus inhibiting its growth.
- In severe infections, other therapies like photodynamic therapy and iontophoresis may be used.
- An oral antifungal treatment includes administration of drugs such as Terbinafine, Itraconazole, Griseofulvin among others.
- Antifungal cream for fingernails is generally prescribed by doctors that shows excellent results in most cases. It is very convenient to use and proves beneficial in the early stages of the infection.
- Some fungal infections do not show any signs of improvement with creams or medicines. In such cases, the doctor may advise the removal of the affected nail by surgical methods.
Before resorting to these treatments, it is advisable to use a good quality antifungal cream for fingernails that will most probably provide relief and visible results if applied regularly. A variety of antifungal creams are available over the counter that has proved effective in treating infections like Ringworm, Athlete’s foot, Jock itch etc.
If you notice any abnormality in your nails, do not ignore it as the condition may escalate and become worse. Try any of the above options for immediate relief.
Read more Articles.